Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Bathtub Memory Warren Buffett

I used to work for Warren Buffett.

Ok, well not directly for him but I was a Real Estate Agent for a Brokerage that was owned by Berkshire Hathaway. At the time, I wasn’t impressed. One day I worked for a locally owned business in my home town and the next I worked for a corporation owned by one of the richest men in the world. Some people thought this was cool – me? Not so much. I liked working for my small hometown real estate office and now that had been taken away from me. I confess I didn’t really know much about Warren Buffett but at the time I didn’t really want to. If I were in the same situation today I might feel a little bit different. I wouldn’t be so crazy to be a cog in the Berkshire Hathaway machine but I would like working for Warren Buffett.

So what’s changed in those six years? I listened (on CD from my library) to a book by Alice Schroeder titled, “The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life.” And I got to know Warren a little bit. And I got to like him a whole bunch.

One of my favorite anecdotes is what I have come to call The Bathtub Memory Technique. “Warren thought of his memory as functioning like a bathtub. The tub filled with ideas and experiences and matters that interested him. When he had no more use for information, whoosh, the plug popped out and the memory drained away. Painful memories were the first to be flushed. Buffet thought of the Bathtub Memory as a helper that allowed him to look forward rather than looking backward…”
Oh, that’s perfect! Take a bath in the good stuff – revel in it like a bubble bath with wonderful scents and surrounded by candlelight. And then pull the plug and let the dirty water flow away. And emerge clean and refreshed. Ahhh…how soothing. How incredible to know that we can do that – emerge from experiences keeping only the good stuff, that which adds to our splendor, our beauty and our joy.

Warren’s (I feel like we are on a first name basis now) story is fascinating. What’s fascinating is that it’s not much different from mine and probably not from yours. He lived in an all American city. His parents made mistakes, had problems, hurt him and loved him. He went to school, he played and he dreamed. The difference between Warren Buffett and most people? He did his dreams.

Article Link

1 comment:

  1. The entertaining thing is making children shower is hard as they begin crying so anyone might hear when you wash them. There are many justifications for what reason do they respond that way. Yet, anything the reasons could be. There are ways of making their bath time more pleasant. Get More Information Bathtub

    ReplyDelete